Old 10-23-19, 03:36 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I think Osata works for a couple reasons. One, you can share the bike amongst family members. Now remember, we're talking about trying to get into the less-tech bike market, the family market, so this is a selling point if you're trying to expand your business. Second, it makes the resale so much easier! I remember having to search months to find a used BF in my size. And I ended up selling one instead of giving it to my son because it was too small for him. An adjustable frame makes any used bike an option, easier to sell or to gift to a family member or friend. Another bonus point for increasing the market is that it's also a bike you can buy for your kid and it can grow with them through college and beyond (and bike fridays easily last 20+ years).
If they are going to try to keep to the limited market they have, sure....the slight weight addition is a drawback. If they are going to continue to just market to travelers then sure, the Osata isn't needed. But they're not going to survive if they just do what they've always done.
An Osata based system can still be US made and customizable, keeping the nature of BF intact.