View Single Post
Old 05-02-20, 11:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Not sure what my gateway was, my Dad took me for a ride on a neighbors new Harley when I was about 2, of course Mom was p****d, hook was set, bikes and motorcycles.

Normal trikes and kids bikes, Dad was a pretty good wrench so I watched, helped and learned some, always took things apart and sometimes got them back together.

When I was about 11-12 I had a Sears version of a Krate, got a flat and going back together the chain wouldn't go or stay on straight, crank was loose, Dad and Mom had divorced by now and he had given me a tool set so I was mostly on my own, got it sorted and away I went.

Stayed on bikes after that and I think sophomore year in high school year Dad bought me a Mizutani Super Seraph, it was pretty nice but a bit heavy. It had a Sugino Mighty Comprtition Crank, Dia-Compe centerpulls, and Suntour VGT derailleurs, can't remember the hubs. I replaced the RD with a Cyclone when they came out, got a Campy SP and Mafac 2000 brakes. These were a PNW brand that was backed up by a chain of shops called Life cycles, I think there were 5 in the PDX area.

So I guess the Mizutani was the gateway bike being a fairly good bike and my first all alloy component, square taper crank bicycle.

I don't think Dad was a cyclist but of course he could ride and always made sure I had a bike.
Likes For merziac: