Old 05-17-20, 11:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Well, here's the other side of the coin. I was living in Portland OR, and had recently become unemployed, but still had a nice Italian Bottecchia Professional that I bought during better days when I had money, or thought I did. It was my 30th birthday, I hadn't gotten any in a long long time, and I had been feeling a little down, so I polished up my bike, put on my best jersey, and went for a ride to cheer myself up.

I rode 10 or 15 miles, felt first endorphins kick in, and started to feel OK. As I approached a bike shop, a woman and her bf were walking toward the front door of the place, and I could hear the woman talking, she said something like," ...but I just don't want to end up looking like a bike snob." As I ride past she turns, points at me, and exclaims, "LIKE THAT GUY!" I was completely deflated.
I hear you. FWIW, I don't get the whole reverse snobbery of some folks who think just because you look the part that you must be some sort of db, or worse, a poseur. For the most part, I find cyclists to be friendly and greet each other with a friendly wave. And, I don't take it personally when someone doesn't wave.
What I would hope someone would say is, I hope to end up looking like THAT guy someday.