Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
4.5x bodyweight deadlift is crazy! You could set records in your weight class with that.
No. You have to understand the mechanics of the exercise and the protocol. There is no way that I could lift 4.5 off the floor even with a trap bar. And the chance of injury is significant.

The protocol is an isometric “lift” where I get into a machine that is adjusted by a trainer to put my posture and body in the strongest position possible. I grab what is like a handles on a wheelbarrow and with my legs at 120 degrees drive as hard as I can to lift the wheelbarrow arms that that immovable The computer calculates the pounds of force generated and displays it.

I ease into the lift building force. Once I hit max force, I hold for 5 seconds and then very slowly release. Just one max rep.

According to the science, taking muscles to failure induces maximum myofibril growth not in size but number of fibers and increases neurological recruitment. It also and maybe more importantly stimulates bone growth. This is much better than impact sports such as running.

The problem with tradition deadlifts is that multiple reps and sets increase myofibril density to the extent of the forces but due to weaknesses of joints and muscles when not in their strongest position, limits how much weight one can lift off the ground. And the increase in muscle size is fluid that adds weight and may hinder aerobic performance. And once the weight if off the ground, one has to manage it in three dimensions further limiting how much one can lift.

The important question is does a max isometric lift in the strongest position increase strength and recruitment in ALL positions. The answer is yes but I say...we will see.

In fact, most on this board could do what I did or better using the technology and a personal trainer. I think it is an interesting technology and concept to get stronger and increase bone density without adding body weight.