View Single Post
Old 06-08-14, 11:58 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
i would recommend none of the above.

they are heavy, poorly constructed, mass produced bikes fitted with z-grade components. i know some people say they are a "good value for the money", but the majority of those same people report back later about all the "upgrades" they have made; i.e., derailleurs, pedals, cranksets, seatposts, saddles, cassettes, chains. after all that, they've spent 400+ on a bike platform that's worth about 50 bucks.

an actual "value for money" would be a mid-range used bike in good condition. personally i've owned dahon helios, xooter swift, di blasi, and many others, none of which i paid more than 350. the added advantage of buying a good quality used bike is, if you want to try something else later, you will be able to re-sell the bike for basically what you paid for it and apply that money to the next purchase. if, in the interim, you've saved a couple hundred more dollars in your piggy bank, you can move up a notch and find a used bike friday or airnimal, or even a brompton.

spending 300 on a bike that begins to depreciate as soon as you take it out of the box is a waste of money. period.