canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3992 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>> i think bubba would have made it big & stayed in boxing if he could have separated from his dad who dominated his training > my take was that his dad pushed him to much > im basing this on my being very good friends with bubbas cousins in beaumont ... btw when he fought his wife used to sing the national anthem
Yup, that's a common challenge with many boxers from the south and west who began with their dads as coaches in the amateurs, but couldn't cut the ties when going pro.

I knew a few pretty good amateurs who learned the basics from their dads but eventually were held back by the lack of experience and unique psychological dynamics between father and son.

Sometimes it works. Sean O'Grady had a similar background and was more successful than most with that close family connection, although some commenters thought he would have done better with another coach. Ditto Shane Mosley, Floyd Mayweather Jr and others.

My cousin got me into boxing but was never my coach. I had several coaches over the years and generally did best with the drill instructor disciplinarian types, the no-nonsense guys who'd bark between rounds, like Angelo Dundee barking "You're blowing it, kid" to Sugar Ray Leonard against Hearns. I wouldn't have done well with a close family member as a coach.

On the other hand, Bubba seemed to enjoy having a life totally apart from boxing. I think he left it all behind, moved to Belize to teach and hang out on the beach and enjoy life. That ain't bad at all. Some former boxers never achieve that level of personal balance.