Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yeah, Loma looked under-prepared. He looked like the pandemic layoff had hindered his usual prep and vibe. Frankly he looked soft, very little muscle definition. Not fat, but not cut. Mostly he looked like he didn't have a plan.

Not to take anything away from Teofimo Lopez, who fought the fight of his career and found the recipe for beating... well... for beating an under-prepared Lomachenko.

It's hard to say whether Lopez would have beaten a peak Lomachenko. Loma mostly just covered up for the first six rounds, but he wasn't getting tagged solidly all that often either.

And when Loma did wake up and do some fighting for two or three rounds around round 8, he was much more effective than Lopez... but couldn't seem to sustain it. And Lopez closed the show well in the final round.

Still, at the end of the bout, it was Lopez with the marked up face while Loma looked like he'd finished sparring.

Kinda reminded me of Pacquiao vs Clottey. Yeah, Pacman easily outpointed Clottey but rarely penetrated that high-hands defense and mostly scored with body shots. But at the end of the fight it was Pacquiao with the busted up face while Clottey seemed blase about the whole affair. Although, to be fair to Pacquiao, if Clottey had opened up and taken more chances, he'd have gotten caught too.

I'd like to see a rematch. If Loma can psych himself up back to peak form I can see him out hustling Lopez for the decision. But he'd need to be perfect.
I would take the bet on Lopez for any possible rematch. Too big for Loma unless he seriously takes the time to roid up and grow into the division. He's still got a featherweight's rib cage in any case. Loma might mark him up but he doesn't seem to hurt him enough to stall Lopez's advance for long. Lopez on the other hand has heavy hands and that's why, I believe, Loma don't want to stop moving long enough to win rounds by punching enough to win rounds.

I think Lopez wins bigger in any rematch.