Old 05-02-11, 10:22 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
I couldn't live with my BD if the wideloaders were on 24/7 either - it's too wide to be useful unless you are hauling stuff constantly. With the wideloaders stuffed in the freeloader bags I can deploy then quickly as needed, but that means the kickback centrestand is a no go. Funny thing is I got my BD when I lived in a small downtown apartment and was surprised how easy it was to get in and out of the building. Way easier than my touring bike + Bob trailer.

I've bought bikes in the past that I thought were going to be great and they didn't last. Some things you have to try to see what happens. Good luck on your future projects.
Oh, I ended up removing the wideloaders eventually. For the kind of weight I was carrying the bags themselves were holding up well. And I was wrong: they didn't interfere with the brake and RD after all.

The problem is that when I roll the BD in head first into the apartment I can't easily turn it around (that's where the carnage starts: hitting furniture, walls, door frames). A straight narrow hallway leads to my doorway so backing out is difficult. Backing in with loaded bags is even harder.

With the trailer, I can roll into the hallway, detach the trailer, roll the bike into the apartment, turn it around, park it aside and then pull the trailer in, unload it and store it in a different room. To get out I would do the reverse: roll the bike into the hallway, attach the trailer and roll both straight out. In my particular case BD is really hard to maneuver.

On a nice day I could unload it and carry the cargo in but that doesn't solve the problem entirely plus, we've had lots of cold, rainy days that I'd just rather get inside quickly.