View Single Post
Old 11-11-15, 07:48 AM
erig007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I'm in the "forget about staying dry, get wet and stay warm" school. After a couple of decades of many hundreds of dollars spent on breathable rain gear, I no longer use it. The last ten years or so (five of those in Arizona) I've switched to silnylon, extremely lightweight (7 oz for anorak and pants), packs to the size of a fist, and cheap (homemade by a friend). I used bread bags for my feet the few hours I needed it over the years I lived in Arizona--free, extremely small and light. I pay more attention to the layers underneath, ventilating, and drying out as often and as soon as possible--trading off experience for expensive gear.
From my own experience, silnylon has zero breathability so you need to rely on pitzips (guy that bought a silnylon jacket says the same here at 4:55 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAIrprzhdw)
And compared to other more breathable jackets that also have pitzips it would be no match. Maybe yours is better made, i don't know.
Check the latest air permeable jackets you could be surprised (mine is at 6.3oz)

Last edited by erig007; 11-11-15 at 08:09 AM.