Old 06-08-18, 03:42 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Does that mean that you agree that viscosity is not directly connected to melting point, or disagree?
No.

Both melting point and viscosity typically correlate to the strength of intermolecular interactions (hydrogen bonding, ionic interactions, hydrophobic effect, van der Waals interactions, dipole-dipole interactions, induced dipole interactions, solubility in aqueous solvents, etc).

It is a trend, not an absolute law of physics. (It is the net result of many different, and sometimes competing physical effects that are governed by relatively simple laws of physics.)

I gave you a link with a table of simple organic compounds that illustrated the trend.

You gave a counter-example (one I was unaware of), and I did my best to explain it without getting too technical.

Perhaps I made a mistake in assuming you were more interested in an explanation rather than playing internet games.

If you actually care: Fats and cooking oils are generally mixtures of rather complex molecules, so there are many factors (presence of double bonds, cis vs. trans double bonds in fatty acid chains, intra- and inter-molecular pi-electron interactions and delocalization, potential for aromatic stabilization and aromatic stacking interactions, polar vs. ionic head groups, miscibility with water, etc) that will influence viscosity and melting points, compared to typically much more simple mixtures, or sometimes single compounds (eg, paraffin).

If you just want to argue pointlessly on the internet: The cooking oil example is really irrelevant to the topic of the thread, unless you think it might be a good idea to lubricate your chain with something like olive oil. At least instead of having to guess when to clean and re-lube from the squeaking, you could just go by how rancid your chain smells.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-08-18 at 03:51 AM.