Old 09-25-18, 07:16 AM
streetlight

Bikes: 2019 Giant Escape 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
So the upgrades netted about a 1.8 lb savings. The biggest improvement was removing the OEM tires. They were 760 grams each and are some type of weird combined tube and tire with sealant.

Overall I am happy with my purchase but if I had to do it over again I might opt for the Escape 2. Use the $230 price difference and invest in a better set of wheels. I did like the composite fork and frame color better so maybe I made the right choice afterall. I plan on swapping the 3x9 Acera drivetrain onto an old early 90s hard tail MTB so that won't go to waste.

In stock form I feel this is great bike for the $750 usd retail price. Plenty of room for upgrades for the type of people like me who enjoy tinkering with their bikes. But also good enough to ride as is for many years to come.
What a fantastic review! I must have got mine the same week as you, Bryan. Lots of great ideas for me for upgrades, although I'm far less knowledgeable than you. I knew these OEM tires were going to be the first thing to go after my first ride, so your review helps corroborate my impression. I have some Schwalbe Marathons with a diamond patten tread on my other bike, and I find those tires much quieter and faster than the stock Giants. On weight ... my old "comfort" bike was so much chubbier, I found the Escape 1 featherlight, but the numbers don't lie, as you show. I certainly don't "feel" extra weight in the frame, but I have this vague sense of the tires dragging, but after reading all your review and DorkDisc's comments, I wondered for a moment whether I need some better grease in the wheels, but not this year -- but I do wonder if might just have a tiny bit of brake rub and need my LBS to dial in the wheels a bit (they do for free). [Update, just checked my wheels and no question my rear wheel doesn't spin as long as the rear wheels on the others Giants in the household, so I'll need to see about an adjustment.]

Last edited by streetlight; 09-25-18 at 09:10 AM.