Thread: My Turn
View Single Post
Old 12-03-19, 04:30 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I've used a lot of different methods combined, and sometimes freezing the post with dry ice seemed to help it finally break free.

I had a stuck quill stem in my Pro Tour yesterday, and had already soaked it with PB Blaster from the bottom end and waited 24 hours, but still it wouldn't budge.

I decided to try a different approach, having used the propane torch on many of the bike's spoke nipples with much success.
So I blasted the quill with the torch for a few minutes, until smoke could be seen after the flame was removed for a moment.
The stem initially didn't budge, but after cooling for 5-6 minutes I tried again, and it cracked free with less force than I had applied before!!!
The stuck stem was holding me back from completing the refurb of the bike and using it on today's club ride in the hills, so I gave the torch a try and voila!
Highly recommended, though here one would obviously have to use more restraint with the heat, to spare the bike's paint!