Old 04-06-20, 08:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I've never felt the need for one. I either lean my bike against something or just lay it on the ground. Out in the open countryside I figure it is the safest from falling if it is already on the ground. My friends who use stands all say they have never had their bikes blow/fall over when using stands, but I know that their bikes have all fallen over more often than my stand-less bike when we have ridden together. I don't get how they can say that when I can specifically remember the times their bikes blew over. I don't remind them though.

Back in the 50's I did use a stand, but the bikes usually probably weighed over 75 pounds and I was carrying stuff in the basket (often newspapers since I was a paper boy). The 100 plus pounds of bike and newspapers was less subject to blowing over and the news papers or groceries or whatever would spill out of the basket if I laid the bike over on it's side. BTW, I bet my heaviest news paper bike was probably well over 100 pounds. It was one of those WW2 bikes with a 20" front wheel designed to have a big wooden frame mounted box on the front.

I do still have one on my folding bike that I never bothered to remove. Other people who borrow the bike probably use it, I never have.

If you don't mind the weight the two legged stands are probably handy as a work stand. Not worth it to me, but may be for you.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-06-20 at 08:21 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: