Old 04-09-20, 04:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
i actually removed my kick stand thinking I would save weight and then when i held it in my hands I realized it weighed next to nothing. I put it back on the bike
Good test. I think if holding your stand in your hand you think it weighs next to nothing your mind set is probably such that it won't matter, to you at least. Others with a different mind set will hold it and immediately discard the notion of putting it back on. The simple act of holding it in your hand may help decide which type of rider you are.

For those of us who care about reducing the load it is one of about a thousand decisions each of which add up. In that context where decisions over fractional ounces add up it is one of the larger ones. It is a significant amount of weight to be in one small decision of many. I figure that my going from 50# base gear weight to 14# of base gear weight was about half about big ticket items and about half about worrying about the tiny decisions sweating every fractional ounce and the average stand isn't even a tiny decision wrt weight.

So it all comes down to how much value you place on the utility of having a stand vs how much you care about the load you carry. I think most riders find themselves pretty clearly on one side or the other and their decision is generally easy.