Old 08-14-21, 10:22 AM
poiuyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I finally did the upgrade that was the object of this topic, and give it as a reference if someone is interested. The issue was to keep a high gear equivalent to a 46/11. A 38/28 chainring and 9/42 cassette (e*thirteen) would have been the best solution on the paper, but 1. finding the parts was challenging: Shimano now only offers 36/26 in their current ranges (except XTR), parts from older ranges where very difficult to find, and 2. I contacted e*thirteen and they strongly advised against using a 2x with their cassettes. The other problem I had with this approach was that it could only work with e*thirteen cassettes, and I don't like to rely on a single provider (same issue with the Advent in fact, and I couldn't find a retailer that has the long cage versions...). To use this cassette I would also need to change the rear hub/wheel, and again I only found one supplier if I want to combine a XD free body and quick-release.

So I went with "Giant Roam 1" clone: I kept the current Acera 46/30 crankset and front derailleur, and bought a RD-M5120-SGS rear derailleur, a M4100 rear shifter (Deore 10 speed) and a M5100 front shifter (to have this single lever operation, it was otherwise not strictly necessary) and a 10 speed 11/42 rear cassette. It seems to work very well so far, but to avoid to wear the rear derailleur too much, I switch to the small chain ring from the third sprocket instead of avoiding the big/big combination. I had some fears about the 10-speed chain being stuck between the chainrings (bad experience with a previous trekking bike), but it works like very well.

Last edited by poiuyt; 08-16-21 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For poiuyt: