View Single Post
Old 08-26-06, 01:32 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my very first bike was some sort of bmx with a coaster brake. i would spend whole days on that thing. i lived in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by dirt roads and wheat fields. i'd ride for miles, have skid comps with my friends, ride wheelies and wreck. ah, it was fun.

moved to philly and i just didn't see anywhere to ride a bike, since i was so used to wide open spaces. eventually lived outside philly in a house next to a big field whose owners let local kids play in it. then i got a trek mountain track. my friends and i would play tag on our bikes. sometimes we'd play where only "it" got to ride the bike. that's when people got hurt. it was sort of fun.

then no bike, no bike...finally moved to portland and rode a bike that had been stolen from a friend, who was able to re-steal it. i don't know what sort it was; i saw the name maybe once because we promptly covered the bike in stickers and paint to disguise it from the crackhead who stole it. wasn't mine, but i rode it.

eventually decided in needed a road bike, a schwinn le tour. pretty solid as le tours go, at least in the frame. the brakes and derailers were crapping out by the end. i wanted to convert it, but couldn't afford the wheelset. i then moved,and it wasn't worth the cost to transport it. *sniff*...the bike whose eventual jankiness led me to desire a fixed gear...

i was also given a raleigh that needed some fixing to turn into a grocery getter. again, not worth the cost of transport.

purchased a specialized allez which was a fun bike. i took many long rides in the mountains outside boise on that thing. but when i moved back to portland, i wanted to work up to the velodrome and saw a bianchi pista (with upgraded parts) on craig's list. the poster wanted to sell the bike in order to buy a road bike. so we met up and traded. he and i are friends now, both messengers in portland. my bike started out as his work bike and is my work bike now. my bike became his work bike for a while until he sold it to the girlfriend of another guy, who's using my old bike as his work bike while his is getting powdercoated. it's a fun little story there.