Old 06-22-15, 10:16 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
60 wheels per hour!!!

I assume you're saying insert the spokes that come up from the bottom first, then insert the spokes that go down from the top.
Lacing 60 wheels per hour involves only attaching the spokes to the rim. The hubs are preloaded with spokes by another worker. This too, is a very fast production job, and can be done in under a minute, so a crew of 2 spoke loaders and 3 lacers can crank out something like 180 wheels per hour between them. The laced wheels are then passed to the tensioning/truing dept, where they're brought to final condition in time frames from under a minute (one particular machine tightens all the spokes simultaneously at about 8-10 wheels per minute total time).

When all is said and done, a production department like what Giant would have can turn out wheels in about 3-5 man minutes each depending on the final quality desired. That compares to high quality hand built wheels, which take a skilled builder about 30 minutes or so start to finish when done in small production batches.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.