View Single Post
Old 12-03-19, 06:17 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
The FX6S is a great bike, and I've been nothing but happy with my 2019. The biggest improvement was changing out the stock tires to tubeless. I've put about 3k miles on it in a little over a year with zero issues. I recently bought a Niner RDO carbon gravel bike, and since that time my poor FX6S has sat dormant. The Niner is just so much more fun on the dirt/road and soaks up bumps much better. I'll keep the FX6 around with some fenders for dirty day duty or rides that are 100% road.
I had a very similar experience, but I ended up trading in my FXS6 to The Pro's Closet. The FX was the first bike I purchased after a long hiatus from cycling. I thought I was too old in my forties to ride drop-bar. I was so very wrong. I ended up buying road bikes that then relegated the FX to disuse. I tried to spruce it up by lowering the bars by flipping the stem, putting Panaracer GravelKing SK 35c (which is the largest it officially supports per Trek, though visually it seems to me you can squeeze 38s in there) and running it tubeless. It did improve the ride, but I realized there is no substitute for a true drop-bar frame.

I ended up buying a Giant Revolt and it was the best decision I made. Now I have 3 bikes I love to alternate between, all for different use cases. Hopefully Pro's Closet will find a good home for the FX, with someone who appreciates the bike. It is a well made machine, just ended up being the wrong decision for me.