Old 06-16-20, 07:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
the only use for a garmin or wahoo would be a hard ride or race , as far as functions go , a 30 dollar android phone can do everything you need while cycling , and if strava brought back heart rate i might be tempted to pay and use my phone to record races .
i guess dedicated computers can be a bit more accurate with gps , maybe cyclocross or MTB races would be best recorded with a watch ( a few cx racers in the pros had those watches ) , some are kind of more compact than a phone , BUT compare a 30 to 200 phone to a 100 to 400 dollar cycling computer and over all the phone wins every time . reply with any reason to choose a gps computer over a phone .

RANT : i mean does the 400 dollar wahoo roam even have a sd card slot to store and load maps and routes , i personally bought a garmin 520 because ti was in my price range, i thought it would be great for nav and routes but this thing sucks the battery only lasts 8 hours and it cant even hold 100 MBs of map data , doesn't have official functionality for map loading , i have to make separate folders and swap out my map sections just to get a map on screen and there is still no real time navigation , it cant play music or do turn by turn as well as my phone can but on my 30 dollar phone i have a full gps for free , why do these gps computers even exist , it would be beyond easy to add an SD card slot and expand storage , ok rant over , i still feel i should have spent the 150 on a new phone dedicated to my bikes
My GPS isnt meant to play music, thats why it doesnt play music.

I have a $150 Lezyne GPS and this is year 4 of using it.
- I use it every ride just to record total miles because I like to track that stat for the year. It holds something like 100 rides, so I can then upload when I want.
- On solo rides I like to look at my average speed, total climb, and distance ridden- these are easily recorded with the GPS unit.
- I use the navigation probably 3x per month. Not often, but its because even though I ride different routes most every time Im on my own, I know what links up with what.
- When I use the route function, I create a route then save it. The route goes to my GPS and I follow it thru written prompts and drawn line. Its dead simple. In the thousands of miles Ive ridden, I have not come across a need for an SD card or expanded storage.
- My phone stays in a jersey pocket. It does not have the battery life of my GPS unit and I can save the phone battery for when I want to use it.

Your situation seems to be much different than mine when it comes to GPS units. I would say that I have easily gotten my money's worth over these last 4 years.
Perhaps a GPS unit isnt for you. Not everyone wants a road bike, some instead need that 3 wheeled trike thing with a basket I used to ride around my grandma's community in Florida.