Old 06-24-20, 08:48 PM
mnml

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Decisions Decisions. Almost there. Please advise!

After advice from some members from this forums I finally hit the stores in LA, knowing that inventory is very, and most stores were in fact on the thin side, but not entirely.

I am new to road bikes. Looking for a more or less comfortable ride that will allow me to ride for 3+ hours without breaking my back or legs. I am not going to be racing or doing serious climbs (at least in the bear future). I prefer to ride alone or with a small group, but mostly alone. It's going to be mostly on paved roads with some minor climbs, rolling hills. Some city riding, but my preference is long rides on paved roads with some minor rolling hills.

Would really appreciate your opinion on a few bikes that I saw today. I am in no rush, but a good deal is a good deal. Same for a good bike. These are in stock. I was not able to ride all of them, but I will be doing so in the next few days.
  1. 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2 - $2450 (Gunmetal Black) - Did not ride, but in stock. Looked very nice and very light
  2. 2020 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Kom - $2050 (Red) - Rode it and absolutely loved it. But it was rim brake only. They had a TCR Advanced 2 Disk Pro Compact, but not in my size. That one was I believe $2450 or so

* I called a friend who knows a few things about bikes. Not a pro, but I somewhat trust his opinion. He said that Giant is to bikes is what Hyundai is to cars. I was surprised. Did a few searches and did not find that kind of distrust in Giant from most people. Only a few professionals, enthusiasts, and snobs said some really negative things about it. Is he wrong?
  3. 2019 Trek Domane SL6 - It was selling for around $3400, but he said he would give it me for $2900 (cash+no taxes). Felt nice riding it, but it's rim brakes. Looks pretty sweet too.
  4. 2020 - Specialized Roubaix Sport - $2500 ($2900 on the website). They will put it together tomorrow. I will also ask why it's $2500 when it retails for $2900. I don't have a lot of experience here, but that's one sweet bike. Same friend said this is the bike to get. I watched a review video on this one and they said there is a problem with the cap that holds that saddle or something like that. Any input on this bike would be greatly appreciated as I am thinking is might be one of the final candidates
  5. 2021 Trek Emonda - $2700. Looked absolutely sick, but the store was closing. Will be back tomorrow to test ride. Looked it up on YT and they are calling it a "climbing bike". I am not sure what makes it one. I was drooling over it. It's a few $ above my budget, but if it's a good bike then it's a good bike. I am not sure though about the whole "climbing bike" thing. Don't know what makes it a climbing bike.

PS. I can get a better bike for $2500, for example, than for $2000, then I would rather pay more for a good bike. Lowest price is not my ultimate goal here. I want a bike that's going to last a while. I also road a sweet Bianchi, but it just felt horrible on my back and legs. I guess I need a more relaxed position. I am not sure which ones of these is endurance bike or proper race bike, it's all rather confusing, but your opinions are welcomed and appreciated!