View Single Post
Old 07-07-20, 07:47 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
i 100% agree with this. Although personally disappointed at the increased weights across the board, the fun factor has actually increased - being able to go more places, explore areas I’ve overlooked due to “poor surfaces” and just getting away from the normal tarmac routes that I’ve ridden 1000x is worth it. Weight doesn’t really matter for me except when racing, and I’ve got my race bike for that...and even then aero trumps weight!
Lots of insightful responses here, all of you, thanks. Especially the part about how the ride/fun factor has increased. Honestly, I guess the weight aspect really is a narrow focus. I don’t do exclusively climbing rides, but there are some where the grades are steep and relentless. I guess if I was suffering on one of those, even if I was riding on a 15 pound bike I would probably wish for 14! ;-). The move to more “all-road” capable bikes is an interesting angle. Strangely, I didn’t become aware of it until Allied and REI were specifically marketing that aspect. Sounds like I may be missing out on something, an entertaining middle ground, as I’m either riding on tarmac or my mountain bike in the woods. I also imagine tech will catch up again and someone will figure out how to fit all of the new components and wizardry into a lighter package eventually (at an affordable price point).