View Single Post
Old 07-19-20, 03:45 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It's probably closest thing to the unpainted finish you'd find is maybe the Trek Checkpoint unfinished carbon look. If you're near a trek dealer, some of the grey on Trek carbon bikes is actually unpainted UD carbon, which would match the wheels you're looking at.
You can see the layering in the Trek fork here - https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/CheckpointSL5_20_24387_C_Accessory1?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1920&hei=1440

Basically, in all carbon construction - even F1 and aircraft - the layer against the mold can get push sideways or uneven as the worker works with the sticky epoxy and then pushes the layers with the epoxy and mold release compound. Whenever you see exposed carbon on a product it is either fake or someone took special care to make it look nice. You might notice these in the higher-end unpainted units. I think the unpainted UD texture looks cool.
Normally Carbon is painted because the epoxy ambers from being exposed to UV light because it is basically amber. I think when you see the weave this is done after the build, prior to clear coating it and it is a purpose built, nonstructural layer.

I do like the Satin finish (you can request via on the other models after clicking purchase when they review your order) looks better than the gloss or matte finish.