View Single Post
Old 08-09-20, 12:12 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Offbeat2020
Hello I'm looking for a gravel bike, however, I'm tired of seeing the "made in China." Can anyone advice of which is a good med price gravel bike that is not made in China. I know that Focus is German made are there others?

Also does anyone know where are Rocky Mountain bikes built, as I've been looking at the RC Solo. I've contacted them and they've only replied built in Asia. I don't mind Taiwan as I've quite happy with their products. It's just so sad to see the loss of the made is US, or Europe, in respect to mainstream bikes. I know it's the cost factor but still.

Any help will be much appreciated. Safe Biking All!
I highly doubt Focus makes bikes in Germany. If you want want carbon, it is not hard to buy a bike not made in China. Taiwan is not China and there are lots of bikes made there. If all you care about is the sticker, Pivot has their bikes made in Burma - and others are doing this in Vietnam and such. These are all made in China but driven to Burma or such for shipping.

Mid-price bikes - in carbon - will all be from Asia.

You can still get a made in the USA steel gravel frame from Gunnar Cycles for ~$1500, which is a pretty good deal.

If you want Aluminum, the most under-appreciated brand in the USA is Ventana. Great bikes from an absolute great company. Much more affordable than you would ever imagine.