View Single Post
Old 08-05-16, 09:32 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
The points about avoiding injury and being overtrained are good. But that brings up other questions. The first that comes to my mind is periodization. I understand we can't maintain maximum fitness and performance continuously thru the year. However, for those of us who have to work at a job, we are required to perform daily thru the seasons and year. Unless you have a seasonal job. Mine isn't.

Part of my fitness, training if you will, regimen is commuting. For me this is year round. I'm not particularly interested in having a peak season. Although riding longer and shorter commutes during different parts of the year makes sense. Going slower or faster according to my mood, (what my body is trying to tell me), also makes sense. But what I'm more interested in is/would be a more steady state level. Doesn't have to be a "X (watts/HR zones/Fitness)", just something less variable. Is that even possible?

My second question has to do with commitment. The few training/fitness books I have read or skimmed assume you are serious about it. After all if you want to win a race you need to be serious. Even if you only want to perform your best you need to be serious. So they advise investing in power meters, heart rate monitors, etc. That makes sense. But, I'm not that interested or serious. Of course there are the "Perceived Effort" measurements. I find them difficult to work with as well. So, is there a training method for the "lackadaisical" rider?

BTW good discussion all.