View Single Post
Old 08-05-16, 10:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
The points about avoiding injury and being overtrained are good. But that brings up other questions. The first that comes to my mind is periodization. I understand we can't maintain maximum fitness and performance continuously thru the year. However, for those of us who have to work at a job, we are required to perform daily thru the seasons and year. Unless you have a seasonal job. Mine isn't.

Part of my fitness, training if you will, regimen is commuting. For me this is year round. I'm not particularly interested in having a peak season. Although riding longer and shorter commutes during different parts of the year makes sense. Going slower or faster according to my mood, (what my body is trying to tell me), also makes sense. But what I'm more interested in is/would be a more steady state level. Doesn't have to be a "X (watts/HR zones/Fitness)", just something less variable. Is that even possible?

My second question has to do with commitment. The few training/fitness books I have read or skimmed assume you are serious about it. After all if you want to win a race you need to be serious. Even if you only want to perform your best you need to be serious. So they advise investing in power meters, heart rate monitors, etc. That makes sense. But, I'm not that interested or serious. Of course there are the "Perceived Effort" measurements. I find them difficult to work with as well. So, is there a training method for the "lackadaisical" rider?

BTW good discussion all.
Re red/bold, what you asked is very relevant to most cyclists IMO.

I think "steady state" performance is better termed "fitness" and that is quite easy to measure.

Orthostatic test is one way. All you need is an inexpensive heart rate monitor. Some of the more expensive ones do the test for you and allow you to graph it online and compare/analyze results over time. That isn't necessary though. Resting heart rate is a great way to measure overall fitness. All you really need is a watch and two fingers to check your pulse.

BMI, body fat percentage, lab results from blood/urine tests at the yearly physical. All help to give an overall picture.

When I commuted, my favorite method was to TT the 19.9 mile route home from work

-Tim-