View Single Post
Old 12-08-19, 04:10 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
this is a very interesting topic for me. I feel that today's gravel bikes are not balanced in terms of front and rear comfort. It is much easier to engineer compliance at the rear. Front of the bike is much harder but you still have at least 3 things to do. First, like it was already said, it is the headtube and the width of the steerer. Your bike, like many of current gravel bikes, has an oversized headtube so even if the steerer itself is narrow, the headset will keep it from flexing too much. The second thing is the fork length. Generally the longer the fork the more flexing it can exhibit. But too much flex is no good, especially if you have disc brakes (like every gravel bike has now) so don't expect much but for sure longer forks can be more comfortable. And finally, there is something that I discovered recently while testing a GT Grade Carbon bike with its Flip Chip fork. I mean if you move the axle of the fork axis and closer to the rider it will promote more flex and generally more comfortable ride (this is the same patent that my Jamis Renegade bike uses with its ECO compliance fork). Yet again, we are talking about a few percent more compliance. So in the end, if you want a really comfortable front end of the bike, go for something like Specialized Diverge with its Future Shock. From my experience, you will have a hard time finding something more comfortable...

Last edited by sweetspot; 12-08-19 at 04:20 AM.