oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Curiouser and curiouser.
perhaps a bad batch of gears slipped out of the factory.
What's odd about this one is that one of the planetary gears is wallowed out far more than the other three, and that one's pin is barely worn. The other three gears ate up the pins, but one pin chewed up its gear.
The sun gear is worn more on one side than the other, the axle is perfectly straight. The carrier wasn't worn at all, the new pins and gears fit perfectly into the same carrier.
I didn't use it though by chance that it was maybe off center somehow but the hub did seem to work just fine with it. When I fixed this hub I just grabbed a complete internal set off the shelf. I flushed out the original hub shell and put it together so she didn't have to wait for it. It was that or just grab a good used wheel and I really didn't want to give one of those up if I didn't have to. The hub kits I have are aftermarket, they may be oem parts just repackaged but they were really cheap back when I bought them on closeout years ago.

I do notice one thing, your pinion gear, and mine are both silver, all the original SA replacement gears and axles I have are sort of gray metal. I think I have another 1972 Sports out there that I still have to go through, its a pending project of sorts, I think I'll be checking that hub too. I wonder if they farmed out some gear making that year? The axles look the same and the planet gear teeth look good, but the inner holes are torn up.

The really odd thing is that as bad as these gear looked, I was able to ride this bike around here a bit before taking it apart, it would shift, but every so often the pedals would slip and then a bang/clunk as it caught again. Pushing it backwards would make the hub bind up, pushing it forward or coasting it was like a fixed gear bike.
The farther you pushed it backwards, the tighter the hub got till it locked up. The planet gears were still holding onto the ring gear, but not the sun gear, I would move the bike just fine in second or direct drive because three of the planet gears were still tight enough where as they still had hold of the ring gear I suppose.