View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 07:27 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
About 12 years ago a friend of mine was on a "B" pace ride with other club members. He was riding a relatively new full CF bike, a model that has been used in the pro peloton. It had never been crashed. He was a conservative rider who weighed maybe 170. While slowing down for a red light, not a panic stop, the head tube instantaneously broke free from the top and down tubes, and Jay was over the bars. The impact of his head (yes, helmet in use) on the pavement broke his neck, and he was rendered a ventilator-dependent quadriplegic. He died of complications related to his paralysis a few months after the accident.

Data point of one.
W my very sore sacroiliac back joint.. riding is a PITA of late. Yet I will give it a light go this morn.. stopping at a favorite spot to remember this rider.

I see this thread now is failing silent... above incident sez it all. My MAIN ***** w carbon junk is it's sold MINUS the warnings up front... buried in super fine print gibberish.. most consumers have not a glue for the potential consequences.

THAT.. is no way to do business in this USA. We in reality have FEW bike companies anymore.. just 'marketing' concerns using names earned from the past.