Old 07-06-20, 10:09 AM
czar97

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No new car. I'm that guy with 187,000 miles on my 2014 pickup and the same 2 bicycles I've owned since I was 8 and 13 years old (see attachments... guess not... only 8 more posts to go before I can share pictures of my bicycles). Rebuilt the Ross a few years back (as I stated above) and rebuilt my old Schwinn Woodlands for my oldest to ride (two more in line waiting to take it over when she outgrows it). When something breaks on my truck; I fix it. I research and research and then make the most informed decision balancing quality, cost and budget.

I can't thank you all enough for your thoughts. It appears that while I saved $25,000 by installing the retaining wall at my house myself, fabricated/installed/finished all of the hardwood trim on our newly installed windows in my home (saving who know's how many thousands of dollars), pulling, rebuilding and reinstalling my own engine in an old Pontiac, and more (MOST) importantly having a sense of accomplishment and pride while doing so AND showing my kids what hard work and effort and pride looks like.... (run-on-sentence much)... it seems that building your own bicycle does not fit those examples. (Please don't say, "if you saved all that money why can't you buy any bicycle you want?" If you don't have the money or you don't have the money allocated to that household budget line item, then you don't have the money).

Soooooo... while reading the posts I've put on the various forums, I've had the chance to narrow down my "bike wish list". And because there are no bikes available in the United States of America (LOL... so crazy that we're in a bicycle shortage in 2020) I have time to keep shopping before pulling the trigger in what I think will be the month of September or even March of 2021. So from my list below you will immediately note that the budget has gone up substantially as I have PLENTY of time to save more money (thought at the beginning of this I would be on a new bike in a few weeks). And with all of your help, it is confirmed that doing it yourself isn't practical for bicycles (that was the most shocking part of all of this research).

Vitus Sentier
Marin San Quentin
Diamondback Overdrive
Nukeproof Scout
Nishiki Colorado Comp
Specialized Rockhopper
Scott Aspect (actually this seems like a terrible mix of components for the price.. by far my least favorite)

Thank you again,
-Matt ("OP")