View Single Post
Old 05-04-16, 05:07 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVC45
Holy carp!

I hope my Nova don't do that to me.
MY concern is that the hinge/latch mechanism in question seems to be prevalent across the industry.
If 2 or 3 factories are the ones making those frames (they appear to be somewhat generic these days) how many frames could possibly have bad welds?

I know this Tern issue has been discussed for 2 years now, but, to me, a newcomer to the topic, I see it as a wider spread industry issue.
http://www.origin8.bike/videos/?idkey=recall

QUESTION: Do the frames themselves have unique serial numbers? Or are they all serialized on a builder by builder basis?
Or, does the builder/seller use the frame serial numbers as the bike's serial number?

Mine has this same/similar mechanism/frame. I am planning on visually inspecting that area as part of routine maintenance.
I can only surmise, (prior to a total catastrophic failure) that stress in the form of a hairline crack or even stretched or missing paint might point to a potential cause for concern.

Last edited by SkunkWerX; 05-04-16 at 05:21 AM.