Old 08-12-20, 02:55 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Thanks for replying. I have read where the GP 5000s are very difficult to mount, so unless someone can convince me otherwise, I will probably go with another set of the same Yksion tires I have, but possibly going up to 700-28.

I read good things about DT Swiss tape also. So, I hope most likely use it to replace the existing tape, if needed.
As WhyFi stated - Mavic Ksyrium UST wheels should have a rim bed devoid of internal spoke holes thus no rim tape should be required. Can someone verify this?

Also, there are other tubeless tires now that might be compatible with Mavic UST specifications such as current Hutchinson tubeless offerings or Panaracer or Pirelli Cinturato or Schwalbe, or Veloflex, or Tufo, and I'm sure quite a few different brands. I'm trying to run Panaracer Race A EVO3 tubeless tires on a DT Swiss R460 wheelset that I have. I am fussing with rim tape and valves right now and I have a front that is reasonably well sealed while the rear has yet to hold air long enough to complete a typical 42 mile training ride. I would think that the Mavic Ksyrium UST's would seal really well and once set up they would be really great. As far as mounting the tires, are you using the correct tubeless mounting tricks such as making sure you keep as much of the bead as possible down in the rim interior and not yet mounted on the square tubeless shelf? Also for mounting the last part of the bead, flat wide tire levers such as the Schwalbe's work a bit better and using leather work gloves give you some extra purchase on the tire to allow you to roll that last stubborn bit of bead over the rim sidewall once and for all.