Old 08-20-15, 07:58 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
We'll have to disagree on this. The Pro is a dedicated 1x frame; there is no provision to run a front derailleur. If one wants a true 1x11 drivetrain, that makes sense. Further, while it is true one could ride around on the big ring with a front double ... why not go 1x and eliminate the redundant bits and improve the chainline?

So again, I don't see the Pro as redundant; prospective purchasers are being presented with a choice. Choice is good.
If the Expert's rear cassette was 11-36, instead of 11-40, then I think the Pro would end up doing better than I think it is likely to do.

I certainly won't be concerned if the Pro is a raging sales success and becomes a permanent part of Specialized's line up, because like you, I also believe choice is a great thing, and having the Pro around, doesn't detract from the experience of anyone who buys an Expert or even a Comp.

It is just my prediction that the Pro won't do so well, not just because of the Expert's drive train, but because I think Specialized have made a mistake with going for Sram stuff here.

Sram's 10-42 cassette is a very expensive piece of equipment(so who wants to pay for it and then its replacement) and I think Specialized would have been better off going with Shimano's XT 11-42 cassette and making the front chainring bigger than the 36T they have chosen with the Sram GX crank.

Also one can't get a gear indicator with the Sram GX shifter, whilst the Shimano XT shifter does come with a gear indicator.