Old 08-20-15, 11:13 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
OK, I'll play one more time! Points in order.

1. The stock 16 Expert's gear range is 109.9" to 22. Changing to 11-36 would give 109.9 to 24.5. I'm not sure of the significance of this? Hard gear is the same, easy gear is so close as to make no difference; you could climb a wall with either. And, for practical purposes, the range on the Pro 1x11 is the same: 98.9 down to 23.6. Anyone who wants to could cheaply/easily change the 36 ring to a 38: 104.4 to 24.7 range.
I was suggesting that with a 40T cog in the Expert's cassette, it would allow many people to use the expert in the same manner as the Pro, that is as a 1x setup, but you would have that emergency bail out gear ready just in case you need it.

Yes the Pro does 1x a bit better because it is purely a 1x setup, but it does come with a $300 price difference, when many people would already be thinking the Expert is very expensive for a hybrid.

2. SRAM vs. Shimano -- personal preference. GX and XT groups are both great. Would I prefer new XT 1x11 on the Pro? Probably, but I've been using SRAM on one bike for years; no problems/no complaints.

3. The XG1150 cassette is a little more than the XT8000 (e.g. today the former is 160 or so on Chainreaction, the latter 120 or so). I don't see that as terribly significant.
Okay I made a mistake here and thought the 10-42 Sram cassette was much more expensive than the XG1150 actually is, so this weakens my argument by a fair degree on this point.

4. Personal preference. I have no idea whether people in the market for either bike would care about 'gear indicators'. I have them on both bikes; haven't looked at them in years. Drop down a cog: harder gear. Shift up a cog: lighter gear. So a non-issue for me.
This is just another little niggle for some potential purchasers of the Pro.