Old 08-20-18, 12:31 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
I'm sorry. I'm currently running a 150mm and I'm loving them. This is one place where I disagree with Dr. Martin -- it's not just an aerodynamic / ftting gain. I'm hitting higher speeds near the end of my sprint, both in and out of the saddle. My foot velocity is actually a little slower than before, rpm a little higher, maximal torque a little higher (more than what's lost through foot velocity so it's not a wash).

So why did this occur? I can produce more torque in the saddle because the knee doesn't come up as high -- going from 165 to 150 allowed me to lower my knee by about 30mm at the top of the stroke. Out of the saddle, it didn't make that much of a difference but it was huge when you sit back down. At the end of a race, I used to spend an inordinate amount of time accelerating and maintaining out of the saddle. Now I can sit down and accelerate after the initial hit.
I mentioned this exact same "phenomenon" about setting up track bikes and road bikes the same. I out 165s on my road bike and experienced the same things you did. Despite the smaller crank, having your leg more extended at the top of the stroke allows more power output in your dead spot.