View Single Post
Old 10-26-18, 03:13 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
My son is 14, severely autistic, intellectually disabled (MR) and nonverbal and since age 8 we've been worried about elopement. I used to tow him behind my bike with a donated kid carrier but stopped when he started throwing things out, making me have to stop or turn around. Now that he's in puberty we still worry about elopement as well as anxiety but feel like physical fitness and being outdoors would be good for him.

At one point we'd go for walks in local parks but he seemed to prefer just riding around in the car. Though he's got fine motor skills challenges and is on medications for irritability that seem to make him excessively thirsty and sometimes clumsy I wonder if we're doing him a disservice by not attempting to teach him. I taught his little brother to ride but I'm afraid that some distracted soccer mom will flatten him with her SUV because he got out of the house in the middle of the night and decided to go for a ride to get ice cream.

Maybe in a few years. The anxiety of puberty has been really hard on him. He's still a little kid in many ways but physically he needs to exertion.