View Single Post
Old 12-30-18, 12:41 AM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HLW
I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.

I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
Yep, got those charcoal mud butlers, I got them since they are a great match for charcoal 2018 Escapade. The mud flap a piece of flexible leather patterned plastic sheet which used to be at the bottom of an old duffel bag, clamped by the stanction under the bolts.

It does an admirable job keeping things clean even in the worst conditions.
BTW, I recommend moving the front fender hanger to the front of the fork to reduce the overhang behind the front wheel, since you are liable to hit it riding off a curb or step. Let flexible mudflap take care of the coverage there.

Last edited by bigredgrad01; 12-30-18 at 12:48 AM.