View Single Post
Old 02-17-19, 01:10 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jrpappy
I have a Cervelo P5 with Magura brakes. Love the bike, dialed fit, etc. So not looking to upgrade. But the Magura RT8 brakes are leaking, unsupported and unserviceable.
5-year warranty, and totally serviceable (but use warranty first), you need to question the reasoning of this from whoever told you the weren't supported (if the LBS who sold you the bike is saying this, they shouldn't be selling them)

I've been given recommendations to swap brakes and levers to TRP mechanical. Problem is that this will make it impossible to cover the front and rear brake calipers with the aero brake covers.
So not a good choice!

Does anyone have any experience with mixing hydraulic brake levers and brake calipers? I'd like to keep the Magura calipers and replace the levers with the Shimano DI2 hydraulic levers as long as they are compatible. I know they may not be a perfect match, but they do both use mineral oil, so that's a start.
Technically, they both use the same type of fluid (minieral) but after that would stick with a brand, and not mix and match between brands.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
More info, how old is the bike. where you are helps for specifics? Get the Maguras fixed under warranty/service if over 5 years and ride?