Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
During the season I ride every day. In winter I hike 3 miles or less as it is tough on the knees in the cold. This happened when shoveling the driveway.

Slept last night for 7 hours! Put two very large pillows between the legs and found a position laying on my right side that worked. Very painful to try and walk in the morning, however I stretched and it was easier. After a mile of walking it was feeling much better. Drove the truck with manual tranny to the store and it was feeling pretty good. So good that I jumped on the cruiser to put around the neighborhood since the streets were clear of snow. This is when I realized the origin of the problem.

Mounting and dismounting the bike is what I believe has caused the issue in the first place. When I swung the right leg over the bike it really affected the sciatic nerve. While riding there was pain in the groin just a little bit. Got to thinking and realized that while riding the cruiser this summer on longer rides (20 miles) I was feeling this same pain, just not as intense. The road bike I did not feel the pain.

So far this has been an interesting journey with much more discovery to come.
I know snowshoeing aggravates my back, cycling makes it better. Ride rollers or trainer instead of hiking?

When mounting, try moving your crotch forward and leaning down over the bars as you swing it. Or mount while dabbing. With your foot on the pedal, the saddle's a lot lower. Change saddle or fit on the cruiser or just don't ride it. Groin pain is not acceptable, period.