View Single Post
Old 10-14-16, 02:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
JFB, good for you for following up on the radio talk shows. Cyclists need voices.

But there is a message not getting through, a point not being made. Actually several points:

a car that would be there otherwise. …

I wish there was some way to get these message across to folks. Maybe some bumper stickers that say "If I was on my bike you wouldn't be stuck behind me!" Or "If I was on my bike you could pass me." I'd love to see billboards or PSA's on TV with a picture of such bumper stickers.

I’d love to give people the message "If you hit me it would ruin my day. And it would mean you having an injury or fatality on your traffic record and you insurance bill and your conscience for the rest of your life. You might even spend time in jail for vehicular homicide. You want to trade all that to save a second of your time? Doesn't sound like a good trade-off to me."

How do we get these messages across?
Hi jmm

Thanks for your seasoned reply. I first heard that argument made by a favorite local subscriber, buzzman (whom I haven’t seen here lately). I might add, one more parking spot is available too. To “rub it in,” my corporation pays a tidy sum for annual parking and I get a cash rebate.

Regarding not being hit, in my worst thoughts about cagers, I imagine that they don’t want to hit me to avoid damages to their vehicle, or the hassle of stopping to deal with accident reports.

How to get the message out? I find threads about what to say to a driver futile, since these are brief, often emotion laden encounters, and often the cyclist makes a bad impression

Originally Posted by JohnHuth
...What bothers me is seeing cyclist who really set themselves up for trouble - no helmet, no illumination in the dark, flouting lights and stop signs. They contribute to a bad reputation for bicyclists. I try to make a point of doing things that would contribute to a better reputation. E.g. not dodging between a two lines of cars at a light, jumping across a red, etc.
I have in the past posted about giving “bicyclist curses,” and “bicyclist blessings”; about 5 blessings a day, and about 3 curses a week. See also the sign below, on my commute through Brookline.

Finally, guys, I will admit to the following quote about recruiting fellow cyclists to our commuter fraternity:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened. Also, with regards to “recreational cycling,” actual organizing, promoting, or similar,may entail IMO a liability beyond a personal guilt trip if something goes wrong….

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2784[1].jpg (94.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2782.jpg (96.3 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-14-16 at 04:57 PM.