canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Mate de coca saved my life one morning in Cuzco, back in the late 70s.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm thinking there must be a story behind that …
I'm guessing a Warren Zevon song and Hunter S. Thompson story may be involved here.

Regarding pain relief, caffeine has a known ergogenic effect that enhances NSAIDs like aspirin and ibuprofen. That's been known for decades, which is why Excedrin and similar OTC analgesics include caffeine along with aspirin, acetaminophen or both. My usual breakfast is 600-800 mg ibuprofen and a couple of cups of coffee out of the French press.

Seems to help relieve some sinus pressure and pain, although not as effectively as good ol' Sudafed or generic pseudoephedrine, or ephedrine used in some asthma meds.

But now I'm curious enough about yerba mate to give it a try. After a frustrating experience dealing with my health network for chronic pain, I'm trying CBD since some friends swear it helped them. I can't tell any difference after only one day, but supposedly it takes awhile to be effective.

Anything to avoid the massive doses of ibuprofen the doctor suggested, or the massive amounts of alcohol some of my neighbors consume to cope with pain. And the clinic won't renew prescription pain meds beyond the initial 10 days after traumatic injury. Our pain management clinic has a three month waiting period for an appointment, which is only a consult and offers zero actual therapy. It can take up to six months just for the first anti-inflammatory injection treatment. This goes way beyond inefficiency and delves into the realm of bureaucratic absurdity.

It's no wonder so many of my acquaintances swear by woo such as essential oils for treating cancer or polio. I know they aren't idiots. Maybe they've encountered similar frustrations dealing with medical doctors, or they can't afford medical insurance so they're desperate to try anything.