Thread: Road is Dead!
View Single Post
Old 05-18-19, 12:46 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Eliminate fields that are a net loss to the promoter. That is many age based fields and gender ones.

There is significant cost in holding a course open. Announcer, support, officials, police, permits etc. Many age and gender based fields are small.

Maybe protect the <14 class as they have few options but 14 year olds can race with adults. I don't see an issue with a 16 year old cat 2 girl, 30 year old cat 2 women, Cat 3 50 something, 14 year old male 4 male doing the same race. If you were going to really do this (I'm repeating former posts) Do Cat 1-10. Put gear restrictions 52X16 on Cat 9/10, 52X14 on Cat 7/8 Cat 6->3 open and Cat 2-1 based on performance. When you say you are a Cat 6 that applies to any age, gender. If you want to give a prize (really not my concern either) you can still do that.

Well, I believe participation is primarily based on the sport being fun or not and the allure of being a pro... When Lemond was doing good, cycling was bigger. '84 Olympics in LA, racing was bigger. Lance, racing got bigger.

What we do see in mass group things - Fondos and Running seem to be pretty healthy.

I don't think people participate because of the 'allure of being a pro.' Basketball was much bigger in Chicago when Jordan was playing compared to now. I don't think many people played because they had visions of going pro. It's just something to draw peoples attention. Tiger did it with golf (assuming we can classify golf as a 'sport' ).