Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's super frustrating.

Garrison is on another level. I raced him a few times when he was coming up 2-3 years ago. Then he went to Canada last year and started really slaying. Yesterday was just absurd.

First Internet Bank swept the amateur nationals podium. Bassett apparently solo bridged up to them in the last few miles. I've raced against him for years. The nicest guy ever and absolutely and incredibly talented. A few years ago at the state crit I set up for the last corner to go for the win and he came on my inside with his bike nearly parallel to the ground. He wins nearly every time he shows up to a local race. And not be utter physical domination, which he's certainly capable of doing, but with true race savvy. He's the total package.

But that team has to be in the talk for the best team in America right now. Not just the best amateur team, but possibly THE best team. After Redlands, Joe Martin, and this... next week should be fun to watch at US Pro, too.

Some good riders in the south.
Well junior got to be his own bike mechanic on a real tricky bike, had military duty till late Tues, and starting 6:00AM Friday. There are about 10 or so excuses, totaled up about good for 2 min. The field was stronger than last year too. Next year there will be the decision to hang up the bike after college (much due to getting a pilot slot or not), or go all in as he gets 60 days off after graduation, do U23 everything and hang up the bike. It will be our last year to fund it and we will make it a family vacation - location depending. Like about every rider in the top 20 someone else was looking after the equipment and preparation. This is really too much for a single person to do well.

As to next week, I think Brandon has a Worlds U23 ITT spot set having done podium last year. Then I think it goes to U23 winner. I would not be surprised if Gage and Ian are actually faster by worlds and Brandon doing a WT (TdS) right now may make him tired. I think the pro winner, even if under 23 has no bearing on the worlds ITT selection, so I think Brandon and Ian got it.
Ian winning Pros would not surprise me - but he's not registered for ITT, only RR. George is very fast right now and was screaming last week in the CO State ITT.

On the different Race Story...USAFA '19 grad Lt. Simon is first for starter for U23 ITT, his first nats ITT.
Timing the start to the 1/2 min getting off warm-up changing wheels 3 min to go and the National Anthem plays.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

George Simpson is very fast right now. He was racing collegiate. Colby was ranked 1st for U23, finished way back and DNF on the RR, so wondering if sick.