Old 06-24-19, 04:05 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s
My rescue of the day, yard sale find, and the first Centurion I've run across for sale, so I paid the price. I have no idea as to the year or model as I'm wholly unfamiliar with the brand. I poked around the internet earlier and seems like pink was a color option beginning in 1986, but the 1986 catalog doesn't show any bike models for that year that came with a "Shimano 105" component group set.

Rusty, very rusty. Lots and lots of frame rust. Sticker from a long gone LBS on the seat post tube indicates the bike is of a local origin, but the rust tells me this one ventured out to the coast at some point, nearly drowned in seawater, and came back with a unhealthy dose of salt.

Person I bought it from claimed she was the second owner, and that when it was given to her three years ago it had been sitting outdoors for untold years. Story went that she took it to a LBS and they overhauled it and got it usable again.... I hate to even think what it had looked like before that! So appears it got new tires, tubes, cables, seatpost tightening screw, brake pads, and serious cleaning, and lubed during the indicated three years ago LBS overhaul. But was told she rode it a couple times, decided she really didn't like how it felt riding it, and it has been in her garage ever since... which was rather obvious considering the vast quantity of cob webs with dead bugs and live spiders that were covering it... seriously, does no one clean stuff they put out at their yard sales anymore? Cobwebs are one thing, but this bike literally had live spiders crawling all over it! Needless to say, I feel the condition of the frame is a bit iffy, like yeah, it got cleaned three years back, but the LBS didn't attempt to do anything to remove the rust. I kinda felt bad for the lady I bought it from as this bike is a 21" frame, and she was maybe all of 5'6", and this seat post is jacked up to a height I'm okay with at a bit over six feet tall.

Not just a centurion but an Ironman! check out their own special thread here https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...aint-jobs.html
Likes For ryansu: