Old 07-03-20, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
An hour or so before a ride, usually oatmeal with banana and yogurt, sometimes a cheese omelet. Coffee.

During a ride I try to consume 200-500 calories per hour, depending on my effort. Usually the equivalent to one ordinary gel or energy bar per hour on harder workout rides, less for easier effort rides. I've done a lot of intermittent fasting, fasting rides, etc., the past couple of years, and seem to be able to use body fat more efficiently now. I've dropped 15 lbs since 2018 too.

Clif bars and gels. I usually stick with what works for me, doesn't cause digestive problems. Usually Clif chocolate mint bars with caffeine, and mocha gels with caffeine. I just got some Clif espresso gels with double the caffeine, so we'll see how that goes.

Water with electrolytes and a bit of creatine mix. DripDrop is the best I've found, but I'll use the cheaper Propel powders too.

After a ride, and sometimes before, I'll sip from a quart container of a homebrewed energy drink -- usually whey protein powder, amino acids, extra niacin powder, coffee, a little kratom (I have chronic pain and it helps without significant side effects -- pretty much like coffee and an aspirin).

I've tried other snacks and drinks but these agree with me best so I don't vary much.

Occasionally on a longer ride -- 50-100 miles -- I'll stop at a convenience store to top up. I'll get whatever sports drinks they have that's cheapest. And often a Monster mocha java. Pricey but tasty, very comparable to my homebrewed energy drinks. Occasionally I'll get a chocolate donut but sometimes those give me a bit of indigestion. Same with most other protein/energy bars including Larabar, or anything with sugar alcohol -- those make me gassy. Clif uses sugar, which is neutral to my digestive system.

I suppose it gets a little boring but I'll reward myself later with a pizza, tacos, burger or something interesting after I finish the ride.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-05-20 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For canklecat: