Old 01-11-11, 09:10 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a story of a ride gone bad.

I switched up Monday and Tuesday on my workout schedule due to the impending 4" - 6" of snow forecast for Tuesday. I was scheduled to do 1:25 hrs on the rollers on Monday with a 45 minute overgear interval. I did do my core/resistance work early on Monday and inclulded Tuesday's as well. The core/resistance work was all upper body and some abs work. The Tuesday workout was 2hrs on the road with a 1:35 Z3 interval in the middle. I don't like spending 2 hrs on the trainer alone in my basement so I went outside on Monday.

Monday's weather was not too bad, light winds and 26 degrees so I dressed accordingly. I plotted a 35 mile loop and began the ride intending to hit the Z3 interval around 20 minutes in, then finishing it up with around a 10 minute WD. At around 10 minutes into the ride I was already at Z3 so I began the interval. For whatever reason I was not riding very well and had to push the effort to ride in Z3 then got the point of failure. At around 1 hour into the ride I quit the interval and decided to finish the 2 hour ride @ high cadence, to keep the HR up, and just get back home since I was at the farthest point away. 10 minutes into the ride back home I knew I made a big mistake. Riding @ Z3 makes me sweat and my gloves and feet got wet and I began to get cold extremities. The last 30 minutes were some of the worst riding moments I can remember. Once home I needed my wife to help take my gloves, shoe covers and shoes off since my fingers had no feeling. I did the lukewarm water bath on the fingers and after 10 minutes I was OK but totally beat down.

Not sure why I didn't have any sustained power as I've done similar rides recently, with even more effort, without issues. I did ride Sunday for 3 hours mountain biking in cold conditions, with some teammates and my son, and may have been carrying some fatigue over. Oh well, we do have bad days sometimes. Just thought I'd share one.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 01-11-11 at 09:16 AM.