View Single Post
Old 02-25-14, 10:22 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
I have an Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Plus handlebar bag. The bag is fine, great even, but the mounting hardware is poorly designed IMO. The mount holds the bag securely, but it's made to be installed once, so it lives on your bike forever. It attaches by threading a special cable between the mount, handlebars, and stem. Screws then tighten the cable down. It's solid, but because of the way the screws damage the cable, it's not practical to take off and put it back on again. The mounting hardware takes up a lot of handlebar real estate needed for lights and other things. If you're set on the bag, go easy on tightening the screws to not damage the cable too much. As for lights, I suppose you could use something like this to mount your light along your front axel.
They sell the mounting cable by itself if you ever need one. You can get one from http://thetouringstore.com/ORTLIEB/O...IES%20PAGE.htm

I love my Ortlieb handlebar bag. I had another one that included a waterproof cover. It worked okay, but water would pool at the base and get the bag a little wet at times. The Ortlieb is completely waterproof. Completely. No issues. Well worth the money. It will last for years.