Old 07-14-20, 12:44 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1000:

Milestone day! The big 1000. I've now commuted by bicycle without driving 1000 work days in a row. The last time I drove was February 10th, 2016.

The last couple of months I've been working from home and doing my commute by riding to the office (or an equivalent or greater distance) and then back home before starting my work day. However, for day 1000 I decided that I actually wanted to ride to the office and work there. Rain was predicted for this morning, so last night I packed my panniers that I use on my hybrid with fenders. My wife remarked that while packing it looked like I had forgotten what was once such a routine that I could do it in my sleep. I agreed that I felt a bit out-of-sorts as I was trying to remember everything I needed to take.

This morning I awoke to dry pavement. The rain that was supposed to happen hadn't. I momentarily considered switching to my back pack and riding my road bike, but decided I didn't want to bother repacking everything. The ride to work was cloudy, but comfortable. I did notice the wind was blowing from the north, when the forecast said it was going to come from the south. Maybe that's why the rain never showed up.

I arrived at the office and took a commemorative photo. I went inside and started to unpack when I realized that I had left my laptop at home. All the VPN stuff I needed was on that laptop, so I couldn't work without it. So I spoke to a couple co-workers for a few minutes, then loaded up the bike and rode back to work from home. During the ride back the sky grew awfully black and I thought the rain was finally going to happen, but it never did.