View Single Post
Old 07-27-20, 10:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Like most of the people we met, they were friendly and just wanted to hear our story.
We had a day off in Glasgow, MT and got invited to partake in the free lunch being served by Gordon's Warehouse Grocery on customer appreciation day.

Even when I am tired and hungry I always try to be polite and tell my story, even if it's for the 5 times that day.

I think being in a group of 13 made us less approachable hospitality-wise. I am also certain we seemed less needy. When I started my travel home from ME I did experience some acts of kindness. One woman at a campground gave me a half a leftover pie she had baked in her RV.

But there is a flip side to that: When I was touring for 7 weeks alone in 2000 I felt there were several occasions where people felt uncomfortable. A "Why is a single guy his age on his own? Doesn't he have any friends? Something must be wrong with him." vibe. One evening I was sitting on a picnic table inside a screened in shelter (so many mosquitoes) in a free campground/park in Wisdom, MT. Woman pulls in driving an RV. Does a few circles then drives off. Maybe 30 min. later a man riding a tandem with a young-ish child comes rolling into town. Two days later I met the woman while doing laundry at a KOA. She told me she was driving SAG for her husband and daughter who were riding across the country. I also mentioned that I had camped in Wisdom. She said she had driven into town, checked out the campground, saw some "creepy" looking guy and decided to look for a motel room in town. it was the night I was there. Open mouth, insert foot. It was fun listening to her try to walk back that comment. After that, I tried to work into conversations that I was on way to see my girlfriend who was interning at Mesa Verde N.P.
Likes For indyfabz: