View Single Post
Old 07-28-20, 06:16 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Making a living at cycling is something more could do if they wanted to. This is something that you decide before you are old enough to legally drink, not a mid-20s. I knew a few of kids that could have been WT pros and didn't want to, and a few that are. Listen to Phil Gaimon videos and you can get his perspective.. Those deciding they maybe could and those deciding not to are different.

Jobs are pretty much jobs. If you are the best at it, it is a pretty good job. If you are like the other few hundred chasing it, it may not be so much fun, unless of course you are paid millions for the journey such as in the big sports.
I understand being a pro is hard. That does not make it such a good life decision, even if you can do it.
I know Phil and saw him rise through the ranks while he was attending college here at UF. I also know several people that tried to rise to his ranks, including several that started as juniors (12ish). While determination can get people places (hey I made it to the 2s! in my late 30s/early 40s), a big part of the equation really does involve picking the right parents and getting some genetic blessings.