Thread: Addiction LXXIX
View Single Post
Old 08-01-20, 03:23 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Busy day. Long ride, then some calls about the minivan. Apparently the frame is bent and it’s more than the service dept can manage. Will be getting estimate from body shop but we are askeered it will be a total loss as the car is 13 with 160k miles on it. Sad! But at least Heidi is ok so I am not too bothered.

Originally Posted by genejockey
Very nice! Finding undamaged chrome under the aged lacquer must have felt like Christmas!

As you can probably tell from my postings, I like old frames with more modern components. No reason to be stuck with single pivot brakes, downtube shifters, or narrow gearing just because that's how it was. I kept the Ritchey with its original 7410 Dura Ace till this fall, when I realized that I didn't ride it because the 12-25 gearing was not as comfortable to ride as my bikes with wider gearing. So I upgraded the brifters, cassette, and rear derailleur to 7800 but kept that beautiful 7410 crank. So, I took it from being 25 years behind the times to just 15 years!
Oh man I'd love a bike with 7400 DA, but I also live in a much flatter place than you. My rando bike has a 7700 Rd and 7800 downtube shifters that work beautifully together. That's also with a 46/30 crank and 12-28 cassette. Shifts so well.

I did forget that the brakes are also original Dia-Compe "G" single pivots, and they're just as awful as you would expect